<VV> 64 drainage paths

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 9 22:41:23 EDT 2009

Au Contrar......Water that makes it past the rear quarter window fuzzies
goes into the rocker area on an early model 2 door.  If you've ever parked a
non-modified early with the nose facing downhill in a rainstorm, you usually
end up with a wet front floor, actually, more like a swamp.  GM, as far as I
know, never put a foward drain hole in the rocker to drain water coming in
from the quarter window.  Big blow-it.  The forward hole that is there only
drains the water that come in from the cowl area.  If you don't believe me,
take the heater vent covers off and then the defroster valves.  If there's a
hole there, it's probably due to rust!!!  There is a solid wall (where the
seam is) seperating the cowl drain hole from the rest of the rocker area
rearward.  There is a drain hole at the rear of the rocker but that only
does you good when the nose of the car is uphill.

To correct the problem, drill a 1 inch hole just rear of the seam you see on
the outer rocker, close to the pinch weld running fore/aft.  The hole will
end up being just about where the pot metal defroster valve mates up with
the 90 degree defroster tube that is part of the body and makes the bend to
go up the door pillar.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!