<VV> Car Storage

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 17:10:32 EDT 2009

I have owned several Vairs that had evidence of mouse nests in between the
cylinder barrels. It seems to the mice to be a nice secure place to nest in
when the car is laid up. This can often be for several years, and so if can
give the mice a false or real sense of security (depending on how efficient
the owner is at getting the car going again!). (;-))

In the case of an efficient owner, the mice can, at the end of a long
period, get a nasty shock when the engine is started. In fact they can get
fried (or baked, really, I suppose!) unless the owner gives the car a nice
long warm-up at idle to warm the oil through, in which case they have plenty
of time to leg it / vamoose / bog off / skedaddle (pick your phrase!)!

When I went through the sheet metal of the nice 65 Vair I brought to the UK
in 1996, I found a whole lot of friend (baked) mice inside the sheet metal,
who had been having a considerably detrimental effect on cooling.

I think they can also get up inside the heater ducting on Vairs (the 'fresh'
(read: oily) air heating), but as far as I know they can't get right inside,
so there should be no issues with them eating the interior trim. Mice inside
the heater duct can severely compromise the efficiency of the heater,
though!

Cheers

Alan

P.S. Sorry if the tone of this email is a bit flippant. I have been
interviewing a very nice bottle of Chilean red wine. It passed the
interview. Chilean red wine is very nice. And very cheap. I can recommend
it.