<VV> Oil Temp in Corvair

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 14:20:57 EDT 2009

I acquired two FC's in Feb 2008 with little knowledge of operating temps. My everyday 63 driver with a 500 series motor has a stock oil cooler. I use 10w30 oil with a wick filter. After 15 minutes of operating my oil temps are in the 180 - 220 F range. I also use Hi-octane with a tetra-ethyl lead additive   called Maxlead 2000. This reduced my head temps about 20 degees. BTW the corvair engine, which is used in small aircraft, has great cylinder head temperature cooling. Overall the oil temps in most V8s are much higher. I change the oil more frequently to combat thinning and moisture. I replaced my points with an Ignitor that seems to provide more power. Don't let the oil thin in an air cooled motor, you are inviting disaster.