<VV> I Think My Thermostats My Be Shot...

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Sun Mar 22 19:47:23 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/22/2009 4:08:52 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gojoe283 at yahoo.com writes:

Shouldn't I be able to pull the thermostat rod OUTWARD (toward the rear  of
the car), when it's cold?
I did all this while the engine and outside  temperature was COLD.
Do you guys think my thermostats need to be  replaced?
As Harry stated  YUP!  they fail in the open  position!

 Hopefully you have some around!   NOS  are few and  far between  $100 +....
Used are about the same!   $60-$80  lately.

Repros are $50 each... and are likely to fail in very short  order....sad,
since the vendor obviously went to  great expense to get  them made.

 All is not lost...

Working on info from others....

I have a 140 engine running in cold weather just fine, using only ONE
Bellows!  I just made a strap that goes around the rear engine mount  cover to the
other side....  has been a year with a nice toasty heater  when needed!

Recently with the aid of Terry Kalp, and the info that an  eastern
 Vair repair shop was SELLING these...

I adapted / modified a 1964-9  Choke  Coil..$17   NEW!  to replace the
Bellows...

Installation takes 10 minutes!,  Original Bellows can still be  installed if
desired...

Slight "tweaking" of the  Coil is required to have the doors fully  open at
the normal 225F temp....but if left alone will still keep engine  at  50f  of
225F!  Not bad for those in warmer  climates!

Look for the writeup in the Mid- Continent Corvair Association's  Newsletter
and maybe the Communique soon!

Matt  Nall
All Vairs!
Visit my Webpages!  tinyurl.com/The-Patio
somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay.  OR.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220685763x1201394209/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DMarchfooterNO62)