<VV> Need advice on 65 Corsa convertible shimmy

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 23 15:53:14 EDT 2009

Would certainly be nice if  Carlton Smith and/or Jimster could report
back to VV on whether their convertible corner dampers are in place or
not. Especially if nether of them is experiencing any problems at speeds
over 55.

One must remember that tires and wheels aren't the only things spinning
around -- brake drums come to mind.  Badly worn king pins, ala solid
front axles, used to contribute to shimmy problems, but generally
shimmies are not caused by worn suspension parts or misalignment of
"modern" vehicles.  Misbalanced tires, defective tires, bent wheels, and
the occasional brake drum -- the problems they cause are greatly
amplified in open cars.  I have a hardtop cabriolet, that feels fine
with the top on, but with the top off, if feels like there is something
wrong (there is, I took the top off) -- same car, just much less rigid
when topless  (just like people, before someone else says it -- maybe
that's where the "cocktail" part comes in).

Bill Strickland