<VV> Fwd: thermostat fail (chris mann)

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 17:11:17 EDT 2009

"...Why would repro thermostats fail in short order and 40 year old
thermostats last longer?..."

The OEM tstats were made by Harris, the radiator  division of GM. As such,
significant research and development went into the  making of the OEM parts. On
the contrary, the "reproduced" tstats likely  did not enjoy the same degree of
development... and, upon close  examination, do not exactly match the
construction of the original item: the  material appears thinner, softer, and the
bends of the bellows sections appears  to be slightly more radiused than the OEM
item. When the reproduced bellows  first became available, I tried several;
all failed within 3-4 months of regular  service. Hence, I now use only ones
made originally by the General. That's  my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Mike Mauro