<VV> spark plugs

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Mar 24 20:53:03 EDT 2009

Bosch Platinums have been extremely troubleprone in Corvairs for
decades. While some people run them without (apparent) issues, in my
experience (including a few years with a Corvair-only repair shop), no
one has actually experienced superior performance with a Bosch Platinum
over a Bosch Super while a great many people (including yours truly)
have experienced significant drivability problems with them. I don't
like them in general and in my experience very few cars actually run
really well with them.

It's hard to find a better plug than a Bosch Super for the money and
hard to find a better plug period than a standard NGK.

IMO the NGK wasn't worth the price premium over the Super, but the new
Super Plus (replacing the Super) is more expensive and I think the NGK
may now be worth the extra cost...  Additionally, Bosch has discontinued
virtually all nonresistor plugs in the Super Plus series and I've
experienced some premature failures and out of box failures...

The max gap depends on your ignition system, the plug, and the
requirements of the engine (e.g. even with a hot ignition I don't run
more than stock gap in a turbo...)

Bill