<VV> Need some rebuttle info

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Mar 25 13:17:42 EDT 2009

Mercedes and Tatra (and others) used the same basic rear suspension
design in much larger and heavier vehicles and did so for decades.
Unlike the typical American car with early and terminal understeer, each
of these cars as well would exhibit neutral to oversteer behavior beyond
the limit.  A typical America car of the era would have already slid off
the road at the same speeds necessary to break the rear loose...

Of course, poor vehicle maintenance (overinflated front tires or
underinflated rears) could cause this behavior earlier... so if there is
any "design flaw" it is that the manufacturers did not allow enough
"margin" in the design to safely accept wildly incorrect tire pressures
and/or extremely poor operator error. The typical American car did
both... and also exhibited the handling and roadholding that such a
compromised "failsafe" design provides..

Finally, in their exhaustive study of the Corvair, the Government found
that the Corvair handled as well as the competition.

But if someone feels strong that a "design flaw" killed their friend, no
amount of fact or logic is going to change that emotional position... so
I wouldn't waste my time...

Bill