<VV> Need some rebuttal

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Wed Mar 25 16:29:38 EDT 2009

Smitty Says:  I don't feel so kindly toward this gent as some of you.  I have been driving Vairs for 40 years and used to listen to this kind of misguided drivel.  I don't any more.  Yes you can force a Corvair into wheel tuck if you do stupid things, either in your driving or in car maintenance, just as you can with a front engine car with a low tire on the outside of a curve.  Just the "other" end beats you off the road.  I had a friend go off the road in a Corvair into a field of fresh cut tree stumps at over 100 mph.  Damn Corvair killed him.  In every case I know of where a Corvair wrecked from being driven, someone was doing something they shouldn't.  Either driving an unsafely prepared car or driving beyond the envelope of control of the car.  Corvair wrecks where the Corvair was struck by another car have shown that they are very durable and no more prone to kill their occupants than a conventional car.
Sorry about his friends.  Obviously the two were driving beyond the limits of the car and spun it out.  Maybe exploring the limits.  And the others were pushing the envelope some other way.  It was their driving that killed them.
I put Spike into the wall at Summit Point.  Why?  Because I got in over my head.  If I had been driving at 35 mph it would have never happened.
Please spare me the crap.  I am tired of it.