<VV> GM QUALITY (no CORVAIR)

Robert Marlow Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri May 1 11:50:59 EDT 2009

It's the dealer.

I have been driving Chrysler products for more than the past two
decades.  Why?  In my hometome, GM decided to close the 65-year-old
Chevy dealership in favor of "highway locations."  Literally across the
street was the Chrysler store, and at the time they had just gotten
these new minivan things.  Minivans were hot in 1985, and most
dealerships were marking them up.  This small-town dealer discounted the
van, and through that van and several more, plus a Plymouth Scamp pickup
and a PT Cruiser, has given me attentive service and value.

Were the cars better or worse than GM (or other) vehicles?  Pure
personal opinion.  But that dealership treated me so well that I kept
coming back.  Example:  The 1990 minivan was the first year for the
UltraDrive automatic transmission, which quickly built a reputation for
problems.  Sure enough, the one in my van failed.  The dealer gave me a
loaner car, the dealer OWNER met with me personally to update me on the
progress of the repair, and when a repair could not be effected, the
entire transmission was replaced under warranty.  All while I drove a
rather nice loaner.  So what easily could have been "I'll never drive
another Chrysler!" became a painless experience, due to the dealer.

Now, if GM had not closed that Chevy store, where my grandfather, my
father, and I had purchased cars and where I also enjoyed a high level
of service, I probably would have stayed in GM products.  But the
"highway stores" were further from me and they were impersonal at best
and crooks at worst, this latter point documented in periodic news articles.

It's the dealer.

--Bob
Currently the owner of (1) Chrysler, (1) Ford, (1) GM, (1) VW, and (4)
Corvairs.