<VV> Electrical Question

Barry Gershenfeld gbarry42 at gmail.com
Fri May 1 16:08:30 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 12:28 PM, FrankCB <frankcb at aol.com> wrote:

> Bob,
>     I'd instead suggest putting an ammeter (or DMM) in series with the
> cable and

Frank "Voltmeter" Burkhard to the rescue!  Now the poor man's version:
Tailights, brake lights, headlights, (one at a time),  in series with the
battery connection.  If you can light a headlight that way, you do have a
heavy drain somewhere.

I once had an experience like this, but it was just the dome light since I
had the door open.  The sparks were bigger than I expected, but I just
didn't realize how much noise you could make with 1 amp or so.  You didn't
really quantify your sparks.  Also, any modern electronics installed might
have capacitors that would draw a lot upon initial connection.

Late model...  So much for the stuck cutout relay theory. <g>