<VV> Insurance for old folks

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sat May 2 10:26:53 EDT 2009

Thanks to the many who responded to my request about AARP auto insurance. What I have surmised from the notes is that AARP is usually very expensive compared to many other companies and many people are seeing their rates as much as double from year to year as the Hartford seems to look more at the locale than the individual driving record. The down side is that it is easy to take advantage of people as they loose their cognitive abilities with age. It seems there is a new prey-on-the-elderly scam alert on the news every day (most recently the sales of smoke detectors for as much as $1200). The upside (if you can call it that) is that they will guarantee you some insurance at some cost as long as you can legally drive. As I am in Florida where there are a lot of retirees who should not be driving (including my dad, who I think I might have convinced to give it up since he can no longer see much), the costs here can be very high. Hope this helps some of you and alerts others.
Grant