<VV> ALUMINIUM CORVAIR IDLER PULLEY?

Rick Loving ral1963 at comcast.net
Sun May 3 12:00:40 EDT 2009

Carl,

There is a know issue with the alum fan pulley if you get the
non-anodized/hardened pulley, but have never heard of any issues with the
idler pulley.

Due to the friction of the belt on the FAN pulley it wears the groove square
and belt retention problems begin.

The weight of the fan and the friction of acceleration and deceleration
makes this a serious issue.

Now the idler puller has alot less mass and see less friction associated
with RPM changes.

I would assume that wear will occur but a lot slower rate than the fan
pulley (if at all)

That is also assuming that Clarks idler pulley is not anodized in the
groove.  If they can confirm that they are anodized, I would assume there
would not be an issues for a long, long, time.

Rick

Subject: <VV> ALUMINIUM CORVAIR IDLER PULLEY?

Hi everyone,

Recently I purchased a Custom Aluminium Idler pulley from Clarks. I did this
as Clarks claim that these pulleys have:

My previous experience however with using aluminium pulleys on other
vehicles (not Corvairs) has not been good. I have found that the 'V' belt
has worn the soft aluminium pulley grove so that the 'V' grove becomes a
curved in shape over time.

But would however be interested to hear any views on this subject. Perhaps
some aluminium is softer or harder?

Regards

Carl L. Kelsen