<VV> Leaf Spring

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun May 3 23:11:17 EDT 2009

At 10:17 PM 2/1/2009, Doug Mackintosh wrote:
>It is indeed true of the factory mount. The reason for the 1964
>suspension changes was to try to reduce oversteering tendency.
>This is done by increasing the front roll stiffness (by adding a
>roll bar) and decreasing rear roll stiffness (by softening the rear
>coil springs).
>The leaf spring was added to help support the weight but was mounted
>so it would pivot at the differential by mounting it in rubber.
>As a result, the spring helps hold up the rear end (if you remove
>the spring, it will droop) but does not reintroduce roll stiffness.
>I am not sure, but I think the camber compensator behaves differently.

It does indeed.   The camber compensator uses a similar leaf "spring"
which is a bit shorter than the '64 leaf.   However, the compensator
leaf does *not* provide any support for the rear of the car and is
used with the stock rear springs that came with the '60-'63
cars.   It was supposed to be a sorta "poor man's z-bar" add-on.

The '64 leaf provides more of a z-bar effect than the compensator
leaf does, and works best with the accompanying front sway bar the
'64s came with.

Frankly, the camber compensator doesn't work all that well unless you
lower the rear suspension a bit and let it provide some transition of
body roll to the outside wheel instead of letting it jack up in a
tight turn.    It *can* be adjusted (via some tomfoolery) to provide
some spring-lift support to the rear of the car ala the '64 leaf
(albeit not a lot) which *will* help it to work better IF you drop
the height of the rear springs by a coil's length to place some of
the lift load on the leaf without jacking the rear of the car up,
which WILL make the tuckunder issue MUCH worse.  If you do this,
heavy-up on the compensator mount hardware attaching the ends of the
leaf to the lower control arms.

In short, to make that camber compensator work, you have to tweak the
car a bit and adding a front sway bar will help.   Lowering the rear
a little will *really* help.

Or, go find a '64 leaf and coils and add-on.   Don't forget the front
sway bar...

tony..