<VV> Walter Mitty Vintage Race.

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Mon May 4 12:18:34 EDT 2009

We got home very late Sunday night and very tired after driving most of
the way in pouring rain; but much better than on the track.

    I'm really enjoying the reports. One thing that hasn't been covered
much is the response of the crowds to the Corvairs, both in the paddock
and the Club Corral.
    The 16 Corvairs in the carrol were right next to the vendors and
food; lots and lots of interested spectators.
The racing Corvairs were in a "Corvair Village" in the main/pro paddock
nearly in the center. We had a delightful barrage  of enthusiasts
interested in the Corvairs. I was all to happy to offer them a seat
under the canopies to talk about our favorite subject. Both racing and
street Corvairs were featured in the noon time Parade and Touring laps
on both days. Ask Michael L. about being stuck behind Billy's
Greenbrier and then having it immortalized on Billy's tee shirt.
   Several times the Corvairs were mentioned on the radio and PA
systems( especially the orange Corvair) none of which I got to hear
because I was on the track at the time. We were also recognized at the
banquet.

    The people who justifably worry about seeing CORSA shown to the
public should have been here. It was a golden opportunity. The 2nd
largest Vintage race in the USA.
     The Classic Motorsports Magazine photographers spent much time
photographing the Corvairs and took a really special interest in the
Bill Thomas/Doug Roe one. Look for much Corvair exposure in an upcoming
issue. Tim Suddard of Grass Roots Motorsports was in our race group.
     Thanks to Gary Funkhouser not being there, I had nearly no trouble
with my car other that self induced off road excursions. There were no
oiling problems, no turbo problems, no belt problems,, no  valve seat
failures, etc. I did get unceremoniously hauled in due to a fuel pump
failure. $130 at the Holly vendor fixed that.
    I was able to run 12 psi boost all weekend. The 3.27 gearing did
turn out to be too tall, but the mild cam and boost helped to overcome
that somewhat.
     Many folks were anxiously offering to help prepare the cars. Spence
had every failure that we have all experienced in our careers, but all
on the same weekend for him. I know that he appreciated all of the
great help. Spence is a great trooper; his trouble free weekend  will
happen soon.
    Mike and Mary Ann Levine went way above all expexctations in making
us feel welcome, especially the food.
    We had a great HRS party Sat. night with the proper Vintage tunes.
Apparently Bob Coffin even danced.
    Speaking of vintage, Bob's ignition problems were solved by
reverting back to Vintage double spring points.
    I didn't take the Thurs practice because of the extra $400, but
probalby should have. The track was VERY had to learn with all of the
blind apexes and the death defying roller coaster off camber blind drow
off on the main straight.
    As expected my on track down fall, other than misplaced off road
bravery,was the antique drum brakes. What good is 120 mph on the back
straight if you have to break 500 ft. before your competitors?
    I have no complaints. I had a great day. Were the spectators and
corner workers really wavingjust for us?
     Bob Coffin played the start just right and got a great jump on the
start. He also showed great power in his GT3 racer. Norm Latulip showed
great skill in traffic and made passes that were too daring for me.
Rick Norris drove very smoothly and skillfully in his Sunoco car.
     I believe that a Morgan with a twin cam Lotus engine wa the winner
or near winner..
   Gianotti's GT3 car was a real spectator draw.
     All Corvair entrants made us very proud. The socializing was even
better than the racing. It was a great last blast for most of us. WE
really missed all who didn't make it. Where were you Chuck Sadek?
    One of the great things about Mike Levines car was that we drivers
actually got to watch a race witha Corvair in it. A Corveight vs the
Vettes.

More later, Sharon says that I have to unload the truck.

Warren