<VV> ALUMINIUM CORVAIR IDLER PULLEY?

corvairs corvairs at pacifier.com
Mon May 4 15:56:06 EDT 2009

Ron - The design mentioned here has a strange irony attatched to it. The
bearings used are much "weaker" (lower load rating/life span) than the
original design bearing. But on the bright side, the design makes it
much easier to change the bearings - which you will have to do much more
often. To make matters worse, "quality" versions of that bearing (6203
type) are VERY difficult to find - the Chinese production having flooded
the market. So your random odds of getting a REALLY inferior bearing
is pretty high.

I think the original intention of the design was to make a bearing
assembly that would be easier to change (although with the idler unit
that's marginal anyway) AND be stronger - that is when you could get
decent 6203 bearings......it's all changed. A good quality idler bearing
should last 30-40 years. I don't know of a single 6203 bearing on the
market now that will last more than a few years. This is a serious
problem with rebuilt generators and alternators which must use the 6203
bearings. But it is what it is.

Lon
www.corvairunderground.com