<VV> Electric fuel pump re - placement

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 5 20:03:41 EDT 2009

I have a NAPA Posi-flo universal electric fuel pump (nice and
quiet).  The instructions say to mount it within 12 vertical inches
of the bottom of the fuel tank and to position the pump in an upward
direction at 45 degrees away from the tank.  My old electric (a
Purolator and for a while this one, too) was mounted on the cross
member in the rear above and in front of the rear tires and at 0
degrees - horizontal to - the tank.  The car ran fine for over 4K
miles in that position with the old pump, then the carbs started
leaking at idle, and I replaced the old one with the new one and
installed an adjustable flow valve, but the problem persisted.
Has anyone got ideas that they can tell me to move the pump to the
front.  I have the wire already run through the tunnel and ready to
wire up, but it looks like there is not enough space given how the
hoses have to connect off of the tank and then to the lines in the
tunnel to allow this.

Trying like crazy to get ready for the 16th.

Stephe