<VV> Corvair terminology

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Wed May 6 15:37:01 EDT 2009

Rodney,

You must not be old enough to remember the '60's (let alone the '50's).
Back then, 4doors were either sedans or hardtops, likewise 2doors. And most
car lines were available along those same designations. So back then, it
was not possible to use the term "sedan" to designate the number of doors,
because sedans could have either 2 or 4 doors. You had to designate the
number of doors a car had. And "sedan" designated that it had a "B" pillar,
whereas "hardtop" designated that it did not.

Today, almost every new car is a sedan, as almost nobody builds hardtops
anymore. So the term has become perverted into a misnomer. Sad that the
public has become so misguided.

-Mark

can think you understand what you thought you heard me say is what I meant.
But it's not always as simple as that.

> For example, a coupe is always a 2-door but a 2-door is not always a
coupe. I've always distinguished the early 2-door models with "B" pillars
as coupes and the late 2-door models without a "B" pillar as a hardtop
(unless of course it's a convertible...)

> As long as I can remember, a 4-door with or without a "B" pillar was
always called a sedan (unless of course it's a wagon...but then they
actually have 5 doors...or is it 4 passenger doors and a liftgate?)