<VV> Smog Heads -- 95 vs 110

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon May 11 12:11:57 EDT 2009

Well, Bill,

It certainly looks like you are out to start a fight. Are you lonesome?
bored? What?

You seem to think that just because Lon and I had a discussion the facts
were not presented. I DID present the differences in that discussion.  So why
are you saying that I did not?  This is accusatory and insulting  besides
being wrong.

You said:
 "and we are talking here about removing the quench area you've so  highly
promoted,
and  "it doesn't make a difference"? "

This is another false and accusatory statement. You are completely wrong. I
 never suggested that the quench area be removed when modifying the heads.
Please at least get your facts straight.

In addition, I did give you FACTUAL answers to your questions. So I  resent
your implications that they were platitudes. Maybe the answers weren' t  as
long or complete as you wanted but they were factual.

And as for advertised horsepower ratings, the subject being discussed was
Corvairs. So of course that was the coverage intended. You may extend that
to  all US cars produced during the 1960s, if you want.

Oh yes, data!! You want data of course!!! To that I say: "homework and
research." There have been literally thousands of words presented on these
subjects. It's up to you to do some research. The Tech Guide for example is
available in two volumes, currently. So it must be in one of them. Why don't
you  look it up?  Why are you asking me to look for you? Get the books you
need  and start there. Do your own work.

Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 5/10/2009 10:28:49 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
lechevrier at earthlink.net writes:

BobHelt at aol.com wrote:

> OH? Really??

Certainly there  was no agreement  --
http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/virtualvairs/2007-November/thread.html#6
8030

>  GM didn't reduce the CR by enough to make a difference. !!!!!

Data,  Bob, Data -- IF it is in the Tech Guides, which one, which
section, page  number, please.  As you have promoted, CR isn't the only
thing that  effects combustion -- Tech Guide I, Fuel-Air section, pg 2,
'Running on  Regular' -- and such things DO effect horsepower, and we are
talking here  about removing the quench area you've so highly promoted,
and  "it  doesn't make a difference"?  Could you explain, please?  On pg
6, this same article advises, "Stay away from the open chamber heads if
possible."

> All advertised horsepower numbers are bogus anyhow.  They are made up.

Agree with Detroit-built automobiles, but  probably not "all" -- there's
airplanes, tractors, locomotives (some even  made in Detroit) ...  And
sometimes Detroit even has gone  deliberately low (still bogus) on hp
such as in specific instances in the  Muscle Car era, and an occasional
luxury car.

Probably asking for  Bob to hand me my head, but really looking for some
factual answers here  and not just platitudes, as well as personal
experiences by those who have  driven a smog car and then changed heads
and driven it some  more.

Thanks,

Bill

Steps!