<VV> 61 Loadside update

The Reinharts jtreinhart at omnitelcom.com
Wed May 13 10:55:00 EDT 2009

Group, Well I finally got a chance late last night to start reassembling the powertrain for the Loadside. I started with the 4-speed tranny. I had to disassemble three separate transmissions to find a good clutch input gear and a good countershaft gear cluster. Both from the same donor trans. Never did find a good shaft for the countershaft gear cluster. All three had major wear on one end. Makes me wonder if there was problems with hardening the shafts. I bought a new shaft and all new needle brgs. for the counter shaft and the input gear. I had most of the parts cleaned and ready to assemble before I started last night and the case was bare and clean. It took me about four hours to reassemble the parts except for the 1-2 and 3-4 shift shafts and forks, and the covers. Not to bad a time for my first shot at a Corvair trans. I may finish the rest while the girls take an afternoon nap. Next I will have to remove the 3:55 rear end from the parts van and disassemble, clean, inspect, and replace any bad brgs. After I get that back together I can start on the engine. I wanted all this done by now. HA!  More later as this project slowly progresses.

Jamie
1961 Loadside
1966 Monza Convt.
1969 Monza Hard top