<VV> Weird and wild...Water Cooling the Corvair engine

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri May 15 12:24:10 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/14/2009 10:14:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ronh at owt.com writes:

I look  at it and say "Thats an awful lot of work, but for  what?"
RonH

Certainly converting the motor "On a lark" makes no sense. But
experimenting can lead to breakthroughs. The were/are two instances that water  cooling
- at least of the heads - could prove beneficial for the Corvair.  One
would be high boost turbocharged motors. The amount of combustion heat at,  say,
a 400 HP output, would overwhelm any attempt at air-cooling for more than a
 10 second drag run. The heat-sink availability of the water coolant would
provide a better cooling overhead. Second would be for emission compliance.
 Air-cooled motors (even of high-priced German sports cars) are known to
retain  hot spots in the combustion chamber and dead spots for combustion
gases. Not a  lot, but newer cars ave to meet much tighter controls. I would be
interested in  whether the newer Asian micro-cars, some of which are
air-cooled, meet the  newer tighter standards.

I remember a story in a manufacturing magazine - about 30 years ago, where
a Southern California aerospace engineer had modified his Corvair engine
for  water cooling. I wonder if this was his construction?

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823239x1201398650/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=May
Excfooter51509NO62)