<VV> Wiring the relay to the inertia shutoff switch

Jack Kean jkean at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 17 14:19:23 EDT 2009

Stephen,
 The purpose of the inertia switch is to interrupt a circuit if a
certain amount of "g" force is encountered. It does not matter what part
of the circuit you place it in. The only thing that matters is that it
is installed where it can interrupt an electrical control (switched 12
volts going to post 85 or the section from post 86 that goes to ground)
or electrical power (12v to the pump (either before or after the relay
(posts 30 or 87)) circuit. Take your pick.

In my installation, I placed the switch on the way to relay (the 12 volt
input to the relay that could go on either 30 or 87).  Each installation
is unique, but the basic functionality (as I described last week and
Harry described below is the same).

Depending on the type of switch, you should be able to open the inertia
switch simply by slapping in your hand (it hurts but you can do it). I
have a switch for a late 80's Taurus which has a simple reset button on
the top.

Hope this helps,

Jack Kean
Arlington, Texas