<VV> Setting the idle (mucho info)

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 24 11:49:27 EDT 2009

A little history:
Rebuild performed by members of NTCA has about 5,000 miles on it.
New rebuilt carbs by Wolf Enterprises.
New engine and main wiring harness
New battery
(at the time of the rebuild)
Flame Thrower coil
Pertronix ignition
Seth's spark wires
new distributor cap
new plugs
Clark's reusable air filters (has the A/C set up for '65, but no
compressor or condenser attached)
Posiflo electric fuel pump (nice and quiet)
Gas flow restrictor (sorry having a senior moment and can't remember
what the tech name is) set at "2" which is located after the pump in
the line

gas may be slightly suspect as it has sat since September (kept
thinking that the harness would take less time than it did and
therefore no need to add Stabil....)

I went back and re-re adjusted the synchronization of the carbs using
the manual method.  It was still idling very low and wanted to die
even after a good warm up.  I disconnected the throttle rod and the
carb rods and used the Unisyn to balance the carbs and raise the
idle.  I then reconnected every thing and put my multi-tester (Centex
digital) on the coil wire and each of the spark wires and recorded
the results.  I did two readings while keeping the engine running as
I was getting steadier readings the longer I continued to run the
engine at idle.  If I understand the readings, the engine wants to
die when lowered to the 700-800 rpm range which is where it was after
the '65 manual synchronization.  It only idles well when pushed into
the 1000 rpm range.

1st readings (all numbers x10)
		High reading		Low reading		Average range
coil			102				89				96-99
#1			32				14				26-30
#2			16				15				15-16 (steady)
#3			24				14				14-16 (steady)
#4			32				16				16-23
#5			24				15				15-16 (fairly steady)
#6			17				15				15-17 (steady)

2nd readings (all numbers x10)
		High reading		Low reading		Average range
Coil			104				88				98-102
#1			17				14				14-17 (steady)
#2			16				15				15-16 (steady)
#3			17				14				14-16 (steady)