<VV> Convertible Top Whitener

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon May 25 19:13:31 EDT 2009

At 01:10 PM 5/23/2009, rbuckridge at comcast.net wrote:
>"One quick question. Â Does anyone know of a way
>to whiten a convertible top. I've tried the
>various over the counter sprays...I've tried
>carpet and upholstery cleaner. Â I've even made
>a paste of Oxyclean and let it sit for an hour.
>Â All of these "kind of worked" but the top is
>still "off white"." Years ago we all used
>Westley's Bleach White, which was really a
>whitewall tire cleaner. Worked great. Roy

Yep, W-BW worked pretty well, if the top was in
decent shape.   Aged tops though... hard to
tell.  Likewise those white tops that absorb
grime and other nonsense that yellows them...

Do not laugh.   Try a soup made of automatic
dishwasher detergent.   Scrub it down.  Let it
sit.   Rinse with lots of water.  Repeat.   See
if the top gets any cleaner/whiter.   Expect to
wax the car again because the stuff will often
take wax right off.   But I've seen dishwasher
soap clean stuff like this that I never thought would ever be white again.

tony..