<VV> turbocharger

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Mon May 25 16:29:47 EDT 2009

 Yes, they do have a good amount of coolant flow around the bearings, but it's the heat soak AFTER shutdown that cokes up turbos and their respective plumbing. This is when the thermosiphon effect becomes truly effective. When running, it's the oil flow that takes care of things, the water cooling is to take care of things after shutdown, when the heat is soaking back through the turbine shaft and bearing housing bolted to the turbine housing, after the oil flow has stopped and has usually drained out of everything, leaving precious little oil to take heat away from anything, and it just sits there and fries, except now we have a housing full of coolant, convecting away nicely as the VERY hot coolant rises into the head(s), falls in the cooler block, and enters the bottom.