<VV> The Eternal Mechanical vs Electrical Fuel Pump Question

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Mon May 25 23:48:08 EDT 2009

Bob, On my '63 Rampside I went through the same thing with the crankcase filling up with fuel about 20 years ago. But I am less forgiving than you as I have been running the electric Carter fuel pump ever since. I am using the fuel pump "dummy" center section purchased from Wes Jewett (he advertises in the Communique) for that stock appearance as well as being able to use the stock fuel lines. As far as safety is concerned, I am driving dangerously (though I am a good driver). No safety switch of any kind! I'm sure I am not alone. On my recently acquired '69, the fuel pump (mechanical) quit while driving through Flagstaff. Thank God I had my current Corsa membership roster and that there are people like Richard Downey out there. He came thru for me at about 30 degrees outside with a "known" good used part. At first it was a bit of a leaker, then after about 30 miles it dried up. It has been on there ever since with about 3,000 miles under its belt. But now I carry a NEW mechanical pump with me in that car as well as the roster. Good luck with your big decision and please post what conclusion you come to.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado
1963 Rampside PG (owned since 1980)
1969 Monza Convert. #2891 (getting ready to drive to Jacksonville)