<VV> NEW SUBJECT (extreme motor failure) long sad learning curve story.

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Tue May 26 20:13:06 EDT 2009

in the last few days i have seen 2 engines fail nearby. even i learned or
relearned a lot from looking at the pile of trashed parts.
one was an unknown 67 110 pg in a show car, oil pressure was checked , it
had a 4 carb conversion installed , and was in the process of having valves
adjusted , carbs tweaked etc. he went to start it and it turned a couple
times ,  then broke the nose off the starter (this is a powerglide car) . well
after  looking a little further i get the call "you wont believe what
happened to that  motor". it grenaded  worse than any i remember in all my years
of  corvairing. i went over and took pictures of everything after he took it
apart.  what a mess!.  one rod came up thru the baffle plate and put a hole
in the  side of the blower housing. not much is salvageable , 2 cylinders
are  peened over into the block..a groove is plowed into the block from a
rod. i  think the only items to save are the end housings , but oil pump
probably has  scrap in it.
so my theory of what happened after looking at my pictures is: i think lack
 of upper cylinder lube from a lot of extra gas  on short runs must have
caused a piston (scuffing / galling marks shows in picture) to grab a
cylinder.  the rods ripped the web right out of 2 pistons ( 3 and 5 across from
each other  ).one rod cap is as straight as it can be , the other one is still
stuck in the  cover peeking out a hole. i consider looking at these type
failures an education  ... in fact i came home and put a quart of oil in the
gas tanks of 3 of my cars  with fresh engines.i figure a little top lube never
hurts. i used to do this  years ago , but forgot about it.
i hope to write a story about this with pictures in the next CNYCC FAN. it
will be on the website cnycorvair.com soon. i hope this information helps
someone. pay attention to any flooding issues , or lots of just starting it
up  and not warming it up.  more on this very soon.
our club now has a large collection of hard luck trophy parts.
see you at our recall.
regards, tim colson
PS: this was not my motor!
steps!