<VV> turbocharger cooling

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Tue May 26 21:36:00 EDT 2009

John,
     I was thinking more of INLINE 4 cyl engines like the Dodge inline 4s with VNT-25 turbos.  Here's what the Garrett engineer said about using their VNT-25 in other applications:

"The water cooling is intended for passenger car applications where the turbo is bolted to a heavy cast manifold with little airflow and many miles of stop and go service. The water cooling is not needed on a race car that isn't driven daily. Likewise, the water is not needed when the turbo is mounted on headers that don't store heat like a casting can. The water fitting is designed to mate with a steel tube flare nut. These can be removed and a different adapter can be threaded directly into the pipe threads and in the housing. Remember that the water is only for cooling during shutdown, the oil cools the bearings when the engine is running. When the engine is shutdown the heat stored in the cast exhaust manifold "soaks back" into the turbo causing the water in the center housing to boil."

     The 2 engines you mention are NOT inline 4 cyl engines, but rather V6 cyl. or flat 4 cyl. with two banks of cylinders.

Frank Burkhard