<VV> turbocharger cooling

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed May 27 10:22:53 EDT 2009

 Yep. And as one who has put a TO4B on an RX7 engine in his boat, I did replace my center housing with a water cooled one. Two main reasons:

1. Rotaries have significantly higher EGTs than piston engines.

2. Marine engines run for prolonged periods under heavy to full load.

When I swapped the housings, the water cooled one and the plain one looked identical, except for a small water passage around the bearing toward the turbine side.

In retrospect, I probably didn't need it, given that there's considerable idling before pulling up to the dock, and the exhaust manifold and turbine housing were sea water cooled.

However, when I first did this, I didn't have a water cooled turbine housing. When it's glowing orange hot and CLEARLY visible on the noon day summer sun, it was clear I needed to jacket the thing, especially considering that the boat hull is wood and fiberglass! Can you say fire? Never had one, had heat shielding, but that's NOT what one wants to have in the bilge of a boat!