<VV> (extreme motor failure) long sad learning curve story.

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 27 16:27:34 EDT 2009

Gotta second this opinion. Been there, done that, but just a very high idle resulted. I think Tim was just reporting the facts as told to him. Tim does know his stuff.
 MIKE KOVACS

________________________________
From: Robert Marlow <Vairtec at optonline.net>
To: N2VZD at aol.com; virtualvairs at corvair.org
My theory, Tim, based on the same skepticism expressed by Matt and Dennis:

Because this engine was, as you noted, "in the process of having
valves adjusted, carbs tweaked etc.," I think that he had the
throttle linkage disconnected when he turned the key.  It fired, went
to instant WOT with no load, and blooey.  When it blew and got quiet,
he tried to crank it again, which is how the starter nose broke.

I do speak from some experience.  I once cranked an engine without
having remembered to re-attach the throttle linkage, and wowser did
it take off.  Fortunately, I was fully seated in the drivers seat
when I did this, so I was able to shut it off almost instantly and no
damage was done.  The engine runs and drives to this day.  I was
lucky.  Your friend was not.

--Bob