<VV> Corvair = Re-volting

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Thu May 28 11:00:28 EDT 2009

     While 12 volts DC (nominal) may be the same, check to make sure that they are using the same POLARITY.  American cars of the last 50 years or so are all negative ground so the center terminal of the connector is POSITIVE.  I remember long ago trying to start a colleague's Austin Healy 3000 in the company parking lot.  I made sure it was 12 volts, but forgot to ask if it was NEGATIVE GROUND and got a enormous spark when I tried to make the final connection to the battery on my 1958 Plymouth.  His car was POSITIVE ground.  Fortunately, nothing was permanently damaged and when I reversed the connections we got his car started.
     Frank "check before connecting" Burkhard