<VV> Law moving thru the North Carolina legislature

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun May 31 08:32:54 EDT 2009

for those who don't live in NC

The cities mentioned in the bill are all around me . Cornelius and
Huntersville (about 25 miles from the house) border Lake Norman, which is
where most of the cryin' comes from.  Mostly Yankee transplants from New
England who want to impose their views on us.

The other towns are mostly old textile  "mill towns" where the old "mill
homes" are being torn down and replaced by McMansions, and the mills are
being renovated into condominiums that sell up to the mid 6 figures.  Some
areas have several "gated communities" where the covenants want you to
submit your home color changes to the "association" and get approval before
you paint your 600K home.   I think not.

Stanley, Mount Holly,and Cherryville are all within 20 miles of my place,
though in different counties.  But Cherryville is only 6 miles down the
road.

This was tried in Lincoln County/Lincolnton in 2004, our Commissioners
listened, SEMA got involved, and the ordinance was changed to read that you
can have as many non-operable vehicles on your property that you want, as
long as they cannot be seen from a state right of way.  That protected all
the people in subdivisions, as most of their homes aren't seen from the
state roads.

I live on a state road, but I have my parts vehicles stashed behind my
carport, which makes them invisible from the road.  You cannot use tarps or
pallets, etc to screen your cars from the road---good dense shrubs or fences
if necessary.

My NC house member is a young POS lawyer, who knows what I think of him.
But I did inform my company president, who is a former SEMA board member, my
boss who works on several SEMA committees, and our production manager who is
past president of the Chamber of Commerce.  The latter is going to be on
Lake Norman with the Assemblyman today.

He asked me if he should talk to him, or just throw him off the boat.

I told him it depends on his answer to the question--do you support this
bill?

Hank