<VV> Charleston Boulevard Rod Run and Doo Wop car show, day 3.

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Sat Oct 3 20:35:35 EDT 2009

Rained hard on the way home last night but, Saturday morning dawned bright and clear. It was a gorgeous fall day in the Great Kanawha Valley and so far 800 cars have regestered for the show. That's a record for this event in its fourth year. Still, only three Corvairs. The Sunoco Corvair has been very popular. I have had some funny comments along with the usual "Nader got those cars off the road" comments. A young guy was looking intently at my trunk area then asked if the car was a hybrid. What?
He said with the fuel cell he thought it was a hybrid. I explained that it was not that kind of fuel cell! He thought my front mounted and shrouded oil cooler was an electric motor!
Had one guy tell me he owned one of them Spyders with a supercharger and two carbs. Two guys tried to sell me a Corvair that was ripe for restoring...as in stored in a field for the last 20 years. Only wanted $1000 for it too. Said I would need a four wheel drive to get to it...huh?
The best were the small kids. They know it's a race car and approach it with a big grin.
I thought the days of firing up the engine and attracting them like flies was over when I sold the V8 Vair but, I cranked the race car up several times and here they came!
It is kinda loud with open headers.
As always it was great entertainment to watch and listen to guys try to explain to each other what all the equipment on the engine is for.

I be pooped but, we will be there one more day. It will end tomorrow at 4:00 PM and I will be glad. Oh, I did meet one older guy who stared at the car and said he hated them. He worked at a dealership back in the day and as he was the youngest line mechanic they assigned him all the Corvair work. I tried to tell him things have changed since then but he walked away.

Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com