<VV> Rough idle

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Oct 4 15:06:11 EDT 2009

At 10:38 AM 10/4/2009, Stephen Upham wrote:

   The carbs are less than 500 miles old
>after a complete and profession rebuild.  I have an inline filter
>before the electric pump (working great) and a Purolator fuel flow
>restrictor set at 2 1/2 (though probably not necessary as the pump
>meets the original Corvair specs for fuel flow).  I have pulled the
>hoses for the possible vacuum leak areas for the carbs and found
>absolutely no problems.  I have sprayed the base of the carbs with
>carb cleaner an not seen any appreciable rise in rpm.  I have re-
>torqued the carb attachment nuts to 11 ft. lbs. and retightened (not
>over tightened) the air horn screws.
>
>Thoughts?

You need to remove, dismantle, and clean the offending carb.

Something has gotten into it from somewhere, doesn't matter what or
from where, not the issue and it won't matter how new the carbs
are.   Something small enough to get missed during installation and
large enough to plug a carb passage still managed to find its way
into the carb on that side.

Got a big bread or cookie or biscuit pan?   Something with a lip
around its perimeter.   Makes a good platform upon which to service a
carb, nothing will roll off onto the floor.    Sit yourself down with
a can of Gum-Out and a screw driver and needle nose pliers and a cup
of coffee and a good lamp close by.

You shouldn't need gaskets or anything else out of a carb kit since
this one isn't that old and likely hasn't vulcanized itself to its
gaskets.    Do have on hand a float level gauge if ya got one lying
around so you can check the float level.

If you do this in the kitchen, it's best you send the woman somewhere
on a 2 hour long errand first.

tony..