<VV> elusive timing mark

Ray Rodriguez III grymm at echoes.net
Mon Oct 5 15:10:10 EDT 2009

I started my "hot rodded" 140 today (now in the 66) for the first time in over three years, and the first time since taking it 75% of the way apart.  Much to my pleasure it ran, and didnt explode or make any horrible mechanical noises.

My valve adjustments were way off.. they were all clattering like crazy.  Before starting on the valve adjustments I wanted to set the timing real quick....

Hit it with the timing light, and the timing mark was nowhere in sight.  I set the timing "close enough" by ear and did the valve adjustment.

Afterward I started playing with carbs...  (turns out my secondaries need a rebuild and one accel pump isnt working =(  )

While doing this I hit it with the timing light again.. and there was the mark... clear as day.  It was fairly close but I adjusted it a tad.

A little while later I shot it again.......  the mark was gone again....       I looked around and found it..... it's just about where the belt joins the Harmonic Balancer on the drivers side... that's gotta be almost 90 degrees off....

With the timing mark "lost" over on the drivers side the car still runs fine (the same), the actual timing seems to be unchanged despite the timing mark moving.....  any help?

Ray Rodriguez III
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction)