<VV> Help -- wonky PG

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Thu Oct 8 18:19:49 EDT 2009

I have a PG that was just rebuilt and installed by California
Corvairs, so I would think they know what they are doing ... but ...

It has two problems:

1) When you first start it (hot or cold) as long as you leave it off
10 minutes -- it will not shift out of 1st for about 1/4 to 1/2 mile,
and regardless of speed (including 55 mph!).  There is a whining
sound from the rear of the car.  After that 1st shift it acts
perfectly in all conditions, shifting up and down according to
specs.  It never whines after that either.

2) It shifts hard -- but only on the automatic 1-2 shift.  Shifting
manually is fine.  Automatic downshifts are smooth.    You might be
tempted to say "modulator" -- it has had 3 and I don't think that is
the problem.  I replaced the air hose pieces of rubber to the
modulator.  I replaced the metal.  I took off the modulator and
checked the valve ... pulled it out, buffed it, and took off maybe a
thousandths.  It moves very nicely in there now.

I also checked fluid (perhaps over full a little).  All of these
things have not even remotely affected either problem.

Any ideas (no, I don't like the one that requires me to send it back
to CA Corvairs ... he will make good on it, but that is a
hassle).  I  hoping someone will tell me "pull pan and change
so-and-so clip" and then I'll be done.  Never is that easy :-(

Eric

This email sent by:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

Tesla Motors builds electric sports cars.  Founded by my brother
Martin.  http://www.teslamotors.com

This is where we go on vacation every year -- come join
us!  http://www.sprucedaleranch.com