<VV> Generator info needed

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Fri Oct 9 06:49:59 EDT 2009

I have a 63 Spyder with a 64 150 engine. It has a stock generator. The 62/63
Chevy green book says that my generator should put out 30 amps. I see that
there are also 35 and 40 amp models. I have a 2-year old Exide battery that
tests out just fine.

Tonight, I drove about 100 miles with the headlights on and my new stereo
blaring (the top was down). Most of the trip was between  60 and 70mph,
30000 to 40000rpm. After about a half hour, the generator light started to
get brighter. I always get a very slight glow when the headlights are on. I
turned off the stereo and after about 3 to 5 minutes the light dimmed and
went back to the "standard glow". I turned the stereo on again and the light
stayed dimly glowing for about 20 minutes. It then got brighter within 3 to
5 minutes. I tried this three times and it did the same thing each time.

I was wondering if there are any other Chevys that used a generator that
puts out more than 30 to 40 amps. Could I get one of those and swap both end
plates? Would I need to also swap out the regulator? I need more charging to
compensate for my new stereo.

I know the quick fix is to upgrade to an alternator. In fact, I have all the
parts in stock. I have even done an upgrade for a buddy of mine. However, I
would like to keep the generator to maintain my engine compartment as stock
looking as possible.

I have also heard that there are people that will convert my generator
housing to an alternator. Does anyone know who? Has anyone done this? If so,
what are your thoughts? What did it cost?

Dave Thompson

63 Spyder vert

Westminster, CA