<VV> Zinc and Oil

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Fri Oct 9 16:01:53 EDT 2009

Most welcome -- I really am happy with that oil.  I do not agree with
that long analysis about oil and 15-50 ... at least for
synthetics.  I read many years ago that synthetic oils should be
compared to traditional oils of about 10 lower ... meaning 5-40
dinosaur is about the same as 15-50 synthetic.  I don't have any
science to back what I say up, I do take very good care of all of my
autos, so they do well anyway.  It works fine for break in.  E

At 06:21 PM 10/8/2009, you wrote:
>Interesting.  I've been using the same oil after a good bit of looking
>around, it's one of the few oils to actually have published specs.
>I'm really pleased to hear you've had good results using it as a break
>in oil too, hopefully soon I'll have an engine to break in :-)  Thanks
>for posting your results.
>
>--Bryan
>
>On Oct 8, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Eric S. Eberhard wrote:
>
>>I rebuilt two Corvair engines, one at a Corvair specialty shop that
>>breaks in the engine the "traditional way" using 30 weight Castrol or
>>whatever.  The other was a mechanic that does a lot of Corvairs.  He
>>also did things the traditional way.  Both engines got flat cams in
>>under 20k miles.  I rebuilt two others -- one myself and one by a
>>shop that does a lot of old cars.  Both have only had Mobil 1 15-50
>>in them -- 20k, no cam problems (or other problems).  I broke them in
>>with initial firing, and break in, and normal use, all with the same
>>oil.  Mobil 1 15-50 is listed as "for racing/flat tappet engines" --
>>it has a large amount of zinc and related, just like the oils of
>>yore.  They have 3-4 other oils with fairly high zinc, but not as
>>high.  Mobil says their synthetic is fine to break in an engine,
>>Amsoil says no ... so check that as well as the zinc and preferably
>>specific reference to flat-tappet engines.

This email sent by:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

Tesla Motors builds electric sports cars.  Founded by my brother
Martin.  http://www.teslamotors.com

This is where we go on vacation every year -- come join
us!  http://www.sprucedaleranch.com