<VV> Torque Spec for Camaro lug nuts

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Fri Oct 9 16:46:08 EDT 2009

On Oct 9, 2009, at 4:19 PM, FrankCB wrote:

> Bob, I do NOT use a torque wrench to tighten the cap on my
> toothpaste!!  However, if I could find a socket that would fit the
> toothpaste cap, I might just do that.<GGGGG>
>     There are TWO reasons to tighten the lug nuts with a torque
> wrench.  One is to make certain that they are not so tight that you
> can't take them off when you have to change a tire by the side of
> the road in the rain late at night.  When I get tires changed and
> wheels reinstalled at the tire shop I drive the car home, jack up
> that wheel,  loosen the lug nuts and RETORQUE them all in the
> recommended sequence.  Some times I actually have to use a breaker
> bar since the lug nuts have been installed with an air wrench set to
> a level probably way above recommended value.
> The second reason is to insure that the nuts have been tightened
> gradually in prope

*SNIP*

I never take my car to anyplace that will do that, unless it's an
emergency. The place I use actually does torque them. They don't use a
wrench, but those torque sticks or whatever they're called. I took my
torque wrench for them to use and they explained to me exactly how
they torque them.

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, Membership Chairman
CORSA South Carolina