<VV> Fiction or...

Jim Houston jhouston001 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Oct 12 08:35:55 EDT 2009

I think the connection of Briggs and Stratton to GM is in the door and
ignition locks.

/"In 1924, Briggs & Stratton reincorporated in the state of Delaware.
That year, with profits soaring, the company discovered another
profitable market: the automotive lock business. A new die cast
automobile lock cylinder outsold competing brass models, and within five
years Briggs & Stratton had become the largest producer of automotive
locks with more than 75 percent of the total market. Briggs & Stratton's
new BASCO auto body hardware, including door handles, inside knobs and
levers, compartment locks, door locks, hinges, and keys also became
standard features on many of the leading models of motor cars."

"By 1965, sales volume had risen to a record $105.1 million. Briggs &
Stratton's profitability stemmed from a conservative approach in
sticking with its two principal lines of manufacturing, the production
of small air-cooled gasoline engines and the *_production of automobile
parts._*"/

I seem to remember that GM keys had "Briggs and Stratton" on them, but
maybe not....

Jim Houston
'65 Corsa