<VV> hot rodded 140 engine: 4 primaries vs. standard 2 & 2

Ray Rodriguez III grymm at echoes.net
Mon Oct 12 12:28:51 EDT 2009

As mentioned earlier this week, my carbs need a rebuild.  I decided it would be better to send out the carbs from my project 140 instead of the ones currently in the 66' so the car would remain driveable while they are getting done.....  its the hot rodded 65' engine they are going on anyway... might as well keep the stock 66 carbs for the stock 66 engine.  This resulted in me taking a look at the carbs from my 65' 140 for the first time since I took them off the car 3 years ago.

I have a number of questions, but gonna start simple.  The carbs I got with my 65' 140 are all apparently primaries (one doesnt match the others, but still seems a primary).

The engine these carbs would be going on is the 140 with the 280 isky cam, max bored stock cylinders,  and ported heads.  Soo...

Talk to me..  4 primaries vs 2 primaries and 2 secondaries...  how will it affect performance?  How much will it affect fuel economy for normal driving?  What do I have to do to my carb linkage to use them?

The other thing is three of the carbs have the tubes installed in the tops for hard cornering...  the fourth not only is missing the tubes... but the holes they are put into!!  My other set of carbs (stock 66' 140 carbs) ALL have these holes... so what is this fourth carb?  The uh... thingy.... in the top of the carb...  is different too... the fourth looks like my 66' carbs, the other three are different... 65's I'd guess.    ah hell I better take a picture....

this is the set of 4 primaries from the hotrod 65' 140
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Swiftblade13/?action=view&current=100_1856.jpg

this is a close-up of the one carb that is different
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Swiftblade13/?action=view&current=100_1858.jpg

I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately, hope I'm not getting too irritating.

Bury me in opinions guys, I want to get informed before I decide what to do carb wise.

Ray Rodriguez III (aka: Grymm)
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Swiftblade13/?action=view&current=sigphoto3.jpg
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe (bored, ported, and a 280 cam)
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction)