<VV> Exhaust Log change

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 19 00:57:59 EDT 2009

Sometimes the exhaust stacks (between the head and the manifold) are rusted
to the point of uselessness.  The collar for retaining the donut
(seal-gasket) is what usually goes away.  If any of those need to be changed
out, you will have to at least partially pull the pushrod tube.  Note that
the stacks have a flat side for the tube to clear the stacks  - so they must
be properly oriented upon install.  When you pull the manifolds you will be
able to see the condition of the stacks.  If the stacks are all fine, there
is not much to the job of swapping out the manifolds.  Three clamps hold
each in place - but be sure the manifolds are snug against those donuts (use
new ones) before you tighten the clamps.  A hammer helps to seat them, but
don't get overly aggressive with the hammer blows.

Later, JR