<VV> Air Hoses----Made in USA?Very Little Corvair Content

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Oct 20 23:12:15 EDT 2009

Can't agree with alive and well in the same vein as it was 50 years ago.
My dad worked for Richmond Foundry and Manufacturing Co.  from 1939 to
1985. They were a grey iron, brass and aluminum foundry. Their main
product output toward their end of life was plumbing fittings. The
foundry closed in the late 80s because the economies of scale meant it
was cheaper to import large quantities of fittings from outside our
borders than cast and machine them here.  Plumbing supply house may
still have some cast iron fittings with the Richmond Foundry logo, but
there will also be a made in China logo. Manufacturers in the USA do
still make pipe, but China is also suppling pipe to the USA along with
the fittings, see
http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/2239706/hubless_cast_iron_soil_pipe_fittings.html

Reynolds Aluminum, from whence our engine material came (required
Corvair content) is also now out of business in Richmond. It was bought
out  by Alcoa. Not that we mined bauxite here in Richmond, or cast much
locally, but the World Headquarters, Engineering and Research &
Development labs were here, now closed. This relationship is how the
Super Monza got into private ownership, and now into CORSA ownership.
The Reynold's Wrap foil plant is still operating here.

I have used many cast plumbing fittings at work in the last few years,
and it is the rare part that still has USA on it. Ball valves mostly I
can still get USA. Fittings have Indonesia, India, Thailand,
Philippines, and China on them. And most everything we buy is SS 304 or
316, some brass (red and white) and a little maleble iron/galvanized.
And the fittings are sourced from local jobbers, big box stores and
national jobbers (like McMaster Carr).

I have not seen made In USA on a television in over 20 years. GE was
built right here in Portsmouth VA.  I shall take a new look to see the
USA logo now that you say  you have seen them. And our Delco radios were
also USA made, in Kokomo, ID. Right Mark? (More Corvair content). Seen
any consumer radio with a USA logo? In over 30 years?

Regulations DO affect economics, rightly so. But I, like you, don't
think regulations were the big killer of foundrys (mostly put a scrubber
on the cupola), labor cost is. After all, China gets their raw materials
from HERE! So raw material is cheaper here. How many Corvairs gave their
lives to become plumbing fittings and new cars?

Frank DuVal