<VV> Helicoil or Time Sert?

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Wed Oct 21 07:52:40 EDT 2009

Last year I had a pan leaking that was really draining the oil.
Turned out right in the middle of the pan there was a pinhole where a spot
weld on the pan baffle let go.
Gary Swiatowy

From: ChiefTAM at aol.com
Subject: <VV> Helicoil or Time Sert?
I have an oil pan that is leaking, and there appears to be a bolt or two
that are not holding, probably stripped.  There was a thread back in May or

so that talked about leaky pans, but I can't seem to find it.  What is
easier and better (if there is such a thing) to use to repair threads,
helicoil
or Time Sert?

While I'm at it, any benefit to going to an aluminum pan like Clarks over a
 stock steel?  The aluminum pans are pricey!

What is the best gasket to use?

What is the best way to keep the oil pan bolts from loosening up after
driving a while?  I torqued the bolts to the proper torque a short time
ago,
and most are loosening up, allowing the pan to leak oil.

Thanks for the assist.

Todd in TX