<VV> Friction Stir Welding (no specific Corvair)

Ebarr19 at aol.com Ebarr19 at aol.com
Wed Oct 21 11:17:56 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/21/2009 10:46:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hmlinc at sbcglobal.net writes:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_1497.html

I retired from Caterpillar and we back in the late 70"s used the same type
welding only we called it "Inertia Welding" we welded track roller half's
together this way along with many other shafts together.
  One piece was held solid while the other would spin using a motor and
weighted holding fixture, when it reached a pre-set speed the motor power would
cut off and then the parts were forced together making the weld.
 Gene Barr