<VV> help! Charging system dead!

keith osborne vanman453ta at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 21 20:50:28 EDT 2009

This is jogging my memory now- isn't there a fusible link(s) in the system somewhere?  I can't seem to find it off hand thumbing through the shop manual, but I seem to remember reading about them.

On reverse polarity the generator's diodes would present a short circuit, which would "blow" a fusible link pretty quickly, I'd expect.  Might have even ruined a connection that was marginal.

You should be reading battery voltage to ground at the generator's terminal, with the engine off- if not, there's an open circuit between the generator and the battery, and if the car still runs, then it's between the generator and the terminal block, right next to the battery...

Keith