<VV> Corvair Heads

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 21 23:39:40 EDT 2009

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:36:28 -0700
> From: Gary Berry <duallycc at gmail.com>
> Subject: <VV> Corvair Heads
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> Hey All;
>
> I have a 110hp engine that is blowing blue smoke like crazy out
> both sides. When I got the engine I was told that it was rebuilt. It
> ran really great for 6 months, but it slowly started to smoke and use
> oil. So now, I'm going to pull the heads and see what is going on with
> it. Of course, I'm just hoping it's the heads, but it may windup
> needing rings (what do you think?). In dealing with the heads, we have
> a really good machine shop at the local NAPA dealer (I've had truck
> heads done by them) and I'm thinking about taking the heads there and
> having them rebuilt. However, a couple of the local Corvair guys have
> said that they really need to go to a "Corvair" mechanic, but they
> have none to recommend locally. Is this what I need to do, or will a
> local machine shop be able to do these heads? Thanks.
> --
> GaryB in Wa.
>
>Gary-

  Do not trust your corvair heads to shops that dont specialize in them!!! Why?

  because they wont know the tricks that the dedicated corvair head rebuilders

  have learned over the years, and worse, will try and do a "exactly stock by the

  book" type of rebuild- which is way wrong for maximum reliability. The dedicated

  corvair head rebuilders will put deeper than stock seats in at a much higher than

  stock interference, and set the clearance between the guides and the valve stems

  tighter than stock. Its how my turbo heads have been set-up, and I've got

  30,000 miles on them, so far.

  Ray Sedman, in California, John Barns in Seattle are the guys that I've had do corvair

  heads for me, they do great work. Also, theres a guy down in Oregon, I think his

  name is Regan Metcalf that specializes in corvair heads.

  Kevin Nash