<VV> Corvair Heads

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Oct 22 11:07:21 EDT 2009

Back when, you really didn't want to take a set of Corvair heads to
most machine shops since most of them didn't have any experience with
aluminum heads.  That's not really true today, but it is true that
they won't be familiar with the specifics of replacing Corvair valve
seats.  I would, at minimum, check with a couple places that are
familiar with Corvair heads and see what the turnaround time on them
would be.  Now, if your shop is interested in working with you to do
it right, there is info in the Tech Guide about replacing seats that
should be sufficient for a competent machine shop.

FWIW, I wouldn't put a Corvair engine together without replacing the
pistons and valve seats.  Others will have different opinions, I'm
sure, but I really can't say what the history is of most engine
internals anymore and failure of those two pieces is common and
destructive enough that I'm not inclined to trust them.

--Bryan