<VV> Gas, Petrol, Benzin etc. costs

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sat Oct 31 12:29:39 EDT 2009

The December Road & Track has a very interesting summation of oil
consumption and production worldwide.  One of the  comparisons--taxes--reminded me
of how different the old car hobby economics are  for us depending on where
we live--in the US there are differences state by  state because state fuel
taxes run from zero in Alaska to 64.5 cents in  California--and country--the
Netherlands has the highest priced automobile fuel  ($6.25) while we were
paying about $2.23 at the same time on average.  On  top of that other
countries--especially Europe--pay an annual road tax that is  typically based on
the size of the engine and/or the weight of the  vehicle.

So my various hats are off to our foreign (and that includes southern
California :)) Corvair lovers and the higher costs they incur to be able to
enjoy their Corvairs (but I still think our Dutch friends need to run premium
in  their turbos instead of regular fuel while staying off the boost).

Bob Hall