<VV> Gas, Petrol, Benzin etc. costs

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Sat Oct 31 14:52:25 EDT 2009

A key fact to consider is the average annual cost of fuel for a typical
driver.  Europe is much more compact than the US and has much better
public transportation.  A straight cost per gallon comparison is not
very meaningful.  Also, taxation is often used as a means to implement
social policy.  For example, if the government desires to encourage the
purchase of small displacement cars, they can tax the heck out of large
displacement cars.

We recently experienced the role that the size of the country can play
in fuel expenses.  We rented a 1962 Jaguar Mark 2 for a tour of
Scotland.  The Jag got approximately 15 miles per gallon, and petrol
averaged about $1.05 per liter.  (Speed limits were in miles per hour
and petrol was sold by the liter -- strange!)

While the per gallon (or per liter) cost was fairly high, we only filled
the car up once a day at a cost of approximately 40 pounds (about $64
per day).  The roads were two lane, or sometimes one lane, so instead of
driving 500-700 miles a day like we often do in the states, we averaging
around 150 miles per day.

Like so many other comparisons, price per gallon is not always
apples-to-apples.

Dave Keillor